Sunday, December 18, 2011

T&T: Stay Alive!...Research

I have been immersing myself with all things zombie lately, trying to play out and plot some ideas I have for a survival horror game using the T&T rules as my system.

Others have frequently mentioned the 'Lovecraft Variant' from a long out of print issue of Sorcerer's Apprentice #7. I have located a copy of it online here if you are interested in purchasing it. From what I have found, it really is not going to give me what I am personally looking for.



Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes (MSPE) has also been mentioned as a source for real world T&T rules...I am just about ready to pull the trigger ordering directly from the Flying Buffalo site. I really just want to see how some modern weapons have been handled in T&T rules.


I have been a ardent fan of Robert Kirkman's wonderful comic book series The Walking Dead. The TV series has been a very good adaptation, albeit a bit slow going in its first two seasons. The one thing that Kirkman does a wonderful job of expressing is that the 'Walking Dead' are not the zombies that surround and constantly threaten the characters, but the living.


I also found an enjoyable read via my Kindle: Joseph Talluto's Zombie Series: White Flag of the Dead. He also expands a bit on the notion that mankind becomes the bigger threat to what is left of civilization after such a catastrophic event. While the writing style is not what you would call prose, it is an entertaining read full of many good ideas that would work well within a RPG campaign. I have read some reviews of the 3rd and 4th books in this series, and I am frankly not too keen on where the story is going to justify spending $6 per volume.


I will be starting a new series via my kindle - the first two chapters are free as a Kindle download in the form of Jailbreak by Steven Booth and Harry Shannon.



A few months back, I had started, but never finished, Max Brooks' World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. Like both the Walking Dead and White Flag of the Dead, Z delivers with some good tales of survival in a zombie world. The problem with it though is that it becomes very repetitive - getting pretty much the same story from different characters in different parts of the world.



Right now, I am going to attempt to stay awake to watch the new movie on Chiller based on the Steve Niles comic book, "Remains". I never read the comic book, but have really enjoyed his other work including 'Thirty Days of Night' and one of my all time favorite comic book characters, Cal MacDonald (Criminal Macabre).


1 comment:

  1. Jerry, as happy as I am that zombie fiction has replaced vampire milieu to retake horror, it is not existential literature. I happen to be on the same RV on that highway that we all are, but I don't have a foot in the grave until it's time to be buried.

    ReplyDelete