Saturday, January 7, 2012

InConTroll of the Arsenal - Day 1

I celebrated the New Year battling a severe sinus infection/cold. It was not until Friday that I felt close to normal. This was also the day that I had planned to set out from Toledo to Indy to attend the Hoot/mini-convention Kopfy and Sligo put together at the Arsenal Game Room.

Talked to Tom in the morning and found out he, Robin, and Trevor had decided to stay with Jordan and not at the Red Roof Inn as planned. Tom invited me to join them, but being that I do not like to impose, especially with people I really don't know, I decided to stick with the nearly deserted Red Roof Inn. 

I arrived in Indy at about 5:15. I had to take a detour on 69 South between Fort Wayne and Indianapolis, I think through the town of Warren. I just followed the trucks for the detour which always seems to be the best course when in foreign territory. I was lucky that I was directed off the highway at the beginning of the detour - I did not get backed up in traffic at all. It had to be some form of accident since the police were blocking both sides of the highway.

I then stopped to get lunch and noticed one of my tires was dangerously low on its tread life...I spent the last 40  + miles driving into the city all paranoid that my tire would blow. I will have to figure out what I want to do with that, but that can wait for now.

So I arrive at the Red Roof Inn - almost completely empty parking lot. I checked in and met my neighbors for the night - a couple with a teenager (maybe 12) carrying a toy gun who promptly locked his parents out of the room. Staying at the Jordon's house is becoming a better idea at this point. But - I have a TV I can leave on all night, wireless internet, and my own shower for the morning. I would still rather risk death, robbery, or kidnapping at this time. That could change as the weekend progresses.

Got on the computer and found the easiest route to get to the Arsenal, which was quite easy - pretty straight route staying off the highway. Passed the store the first time and had to turn around, but then saw Tom standing outside, probably waiting for me to call back since the signal to the basement of the game room was  very bad as Tom and I attempted to communicate.

The Arsenal is a cool place - part game store, part cafe, with plenty of open gaming space both upstairs and in the basement. I ordered up a coffee and a soft pretzel after paying my $5 'InConTroll' fee. The original plan was the possibility of running 3 tables at once, if some others (friends of friends?) had shown up. Since it was looking like that needed to change since we did not have enough people to support more than one game at a time, the schedule was updated with some volunteering and a little luck. I volunteered to pull back my T&T adventure since I am no where near where I need to be with it to playtest. Tom would still take Friday's game; my AGOT (Game of Thrones) game would be moved to Sunday. Scott, Robin, and Trevor would take the sessions on Saturday. With that done, I settled in for the first game of the weekend. 

(I am horrible with names, so I will be sure to write them down tomorrow.)

Tom's T&T Game
Me - Jherrrii the Great, Nee/Nay Good, Dwarven Fighter, 
Robin - Alanthea the Elven Wizard
Trevor - a Wolf Troll Fighter
Kerry - a female Minotaur Fighter
Jordan - a Human Wizard?
Jordan's son - a Human Rogue
Scott (Sligo) - a vertically challenged Human Wizard

Mine and Robin's characters have now survived 3 or 4 of Tom's nefarious adventures. This time around, the two of us enter a town called Peakvale where humans are the norm and other races are looked down upon. Trevor's troll from the previous adventures is not with us (he left his character sheet at home), so the rest of the characters were newly starting.

In the tavern called the 'Barbarian's Axe', Trevor's Wolf Troll is attached to a chain and being led around by a human, while Kerry's female Minotaur is dancing on stage for coppers. Scott buys the Wolf Troll for 50 Gold, and will eventually set him free. The Minotaur is also allowed to leave from the bar once she pays her bar tab of 50 gold as well. The group is offered a job by the apprentice wizard Zarra to escort her to a Temple is a far off swamp (again - names often escape me). Everyone is paid 300 Gold up front, which allows most everyone to make a quick shopping trip for new equipment. I finally trade my acid damaged Scale for a new set, paying the 180 gold difference - what a deal.

Traveling towards the destination, we take a break for a meal. We become surrounded by orcs; our slurping of soup must have drowned out their advance on our position. Jordan's son (here forward called the boy) heard something in the bushes - his investigation may have delayed the eventual melee, but our position was rained upon with arrows, mostly doing damage to our poor donkeys and Zarra's horse.

We returned fire with my crossbow (taking out 2 or 3 orcs with a penetrating shot) while Robin cast Dem Bones bringing up some orc skeletons to fight for her and Scott cast TTYF taking another the ground. It was not enough though as the eventual charge of the main force overwelmed us. Battered and bleeding, we were forced to run away to the nearby woods, which happen to be controlled by some isolationist militant wood elves. My crossbow did drop another few orcs before the retreat.

The minotaur stays behind trying to flirt/beguile the orcs - she successfully forces them to hesitate, helping us get to the woods, but she is now their prisoner and being forced to lead them to us. We set up an ambush of sorts in the woods where the wizards cast some spells to confuse the orcs and get them to run away; the boy walloped an orc with surprise attack with his crowbar, and I finished another with a bolt (orc kill count - 6). We are then surrounded by the aforementioned jerky elves and forced to leave the woods, being dumped outside the wood on a cliff overlooking the swamp we need to get to. The magical nature of the forest healed a few CON points, but we are all still lingering on death with a few CON points each as a result of the orc charge.

We decide to climb down the cliff, with Jherrrii the climbing dwarf (a freaking talent) leading the way to find a good and safe route - I fail my first climbing roll and fall/roll 30 feet down the embankment, losing all the CON points that I had gained back from the darn woods. The rest of the party have a similar experience and we are all eventually deposited into an even worse situation, surrounded by a field of sharp blade grass. Jordan finds out the hard way that one wrong step is not a good thing, failing a SPD roll, he is killed. The boy risks life and limb to sneak out to his dead body and steal his 300 Gold, successfully.

We find a route somewhat around the grass to a long and swampy body of water that we need to cross. We have a deadfall log that could be used a float, but nothing else that would keep us dry. Scott tries to swim across, but the length is too great and he tired and seems to drown. Divine intervention washes him back on shore - we then proceed to kick our way across. It is a long haul, and some of us lose stamina and are carried forward by relentless kicking of the Troll and Minotaur, until something grabs the troll's leg from the murky depths. We all respond by leaving him and swimming to the shore. Scott casts another TTYF and dazzles the giant frog, allowing the troll to escape. Scott is then lashed by the frog giant tongue, killing him.

The boy, not wanting to lose out on another 300 Gold, swims back to Scott's lifeless body, only to be gobbled up by the wrathful frog. The boy did not taste very good and is soon spit out and lands on the beach, but without most of his belongings. For some reason the Troll decides to linger on the beach to talk to the frog, and he too is rewarded with a tongue lashing death.

4 characters killed, 2 saved by divine intervention, 3 eventually remaining dead - we are wet, some of us without equipment, and near the adventure can start...

AP: 2,261

No comments:

Post a Comment