Tuesday, April 3, 2012

An Alternate Take on Talents in T&T

I was reading my electronic copy of the 7.5 rules on my Kindle Fire and I came across the following passage in the character section for the Citizen:



Pg 10: "If you play a Citizen, you are advised to work on your Talent(s) above all, so that perhaps you will be able to create a memorable character who's very, very good at just one thing."

One frustrating thing about the Talent system as presented in the 7.5 rule book is the roll for your Talent bonus. Picture this: you have risked life and limb, you have survived vile sorcery and evil death frogs. You finally push one of your attributes that allows you to advance a level and get a new Talent. You have had this idea for the last few playing sessions - and you are now ready to make your roll for your Talent Bonus - and you roll a '1'. You are now stuck with a very ineffective bonus to your Talent for the rest of the character's long or short lifespan.

One option proposed on the 'Walla (I believe by Zanshin - correct me if I am wrong)
  • Roll 3 dice and pick the 2 you would like
  • Pro - I think this could be a good idea as one option for Talents that will increase your chances for DARO...but
  • Con - I believe it would also totally eliminate any chance of a 'fumble' roll of 1 and 2 (1-1-2 would DARO on the 1, 1-2-2 would DARO on the 2)

Another Option: Track your Talent usage ala MSPE and apply bonuses based on actual usage

Which brings me back to MSPE and its record keeping, but in this case, I think it is something that could be effective. In MSPE, you receive 50 AP after just attempting any of your skills. After 20 such attempts (1000 AP), the character would then be Level 2 in that skill. Level 3 required 3000 total points (60 total attempts), and the level tree gets progressively larger, using the same one that is used for the base character level advancement.

We already write down experience for every SR that is successful; why not also make a mark for your talents as you use them?
  • Mark every time you use the talent in the margin - when you get to 10 or 20, increase your bonus by +1 to a maximum of +6. I can see with this method, starting the Talent at +1 and then use the XP system to build up to +6.
  • Pro - the character is rewarded for 'working' on the Talent
  • Con - one more thing to track which could in and of itself be a bit overbearing

In the original words from the rule book, this would be a way to 'work' on your talents, by actually using them.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I understand this. Are the first option suggesting using DARO, i.e. exploding dice, on teh roll for Talent bonus? That sounds WAY to much!

    The MSPE way is something that is growing on me. I'm not sure the bookkeeping hassle is such a big thing. I know most games makes to keep track of far more than T&T does, and that is quite easy after all. I would allow a slower advance than 10-20 uses , though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first option I was referring to was something on the Walla suggested by someone else and I agree - the extra die will eliminate the possibility of a failed roll.

    The second option is the one that I am presenting - sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. roll 2d3 and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2d3 to determine your permanent bonus?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of being able to improve a talent over time rather than simply the attribute to which it is linked. Your method of improving the talent bonus from +1 to +6 seems good to me; if you are just keeping track of how many SRs you make with the talent that is not too much book keeping. A simpler way for those who don't want to keep track of talent use might be to increase your talent by +1 with each increase in level up to a maximum of +6 (with all talents starting at +1). The same stipulation would apply that you must have used your talent prior to the level increase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another option, and the one I prefer, is to roll 3 dice: the regular 2 dice, plus one of another colour (the 'talent die'). Fumble and DARO are checked on the regular dice, and the talent die result is simply added.

    But your talent improvement rule is okay as well, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If simplicity is to be preferred, then Dan wins.

    ReplyDelete