Saturday, September 22, 2012

That other game that I adore...

While I have been making every effort to play more TnT, it's always fun to play the game that got me hooked in the first place. AD&D is still King to me. I know the rules inside and out, and while I freely admit to seeing more and more of that game's drawbacks as I get more experience with other systems, I still love it for what it is.

Now, I do run what I call AD&D 1E/2E with a 3E twist...which I guess would be similar to those TnT people out there who prefer 5E over 7.5 because of one thing or the other. The bottom line is that from the beginning, I have always been willing to ignore 'this' rule and change 'that' with any system I play. That may be what makes TnT so appealing - it was the first system that really seemed to encourage such things.

So the boy has been asking to play, so that we did. I started running what I call the 'kids' game, which is the game where our kids (my pseudo child and my adult group's kids) play the main roles and the adults, when we play, are more support characters...mostly halflings that serve the roles of the healers and spell casters. The two main kids in the game play two barbarian brothers, Lorian and Corian Darkshade.

They currently occupy a tower that was once vacant. They fixed it up a bit and got some help with getting past some of its protections, but today they were attacked by a group of  magical creatures (Displacer Beast, Wyvern, Hippogriff, and a group of bugbears). The unpainted lioness is Lorian's Figurine of Wondrous Power...need to finish that miniature).


The Wyvern successfully took out both an NPC and one of the barbarian brothers with its stinger...since the saving throw failed, I allowed his Ring of Regeneration to keep him alive until they could figure out a way to neutralize the poison.


Being a game for kids, I have built in many things to help them out of some situations like plenty of magic items, rings of recall to allow them to get to their homebase when they need to, and powerful NPC friends that can get them a cleric or other magical aids if needed. In this case, their friend the powerful mage showed up with a cleric to cure Corian and help 'Raise' the NPC that died. Of course, they negotiated a proper trade of services by giving up some of the Wyvern poison. The dragon miniature is actually the baby dragon that one of the brother's wished for...gotta make it fun and interesting eh! He found a Luck Blade in the last adventure...and he promptly wished for a baby dragon. It is actually like a foot long currently, more so a hatchling I guess. Should provide for some fun times.


They then hitched a ride back to the city with their wizard friend via teleport. There, they entered into some fights in the Arena. At the Arena, they met with the friendly neighborhood weapons dealer (who will be making an appearance in my TnT Baru-Kesh adventures) and signed on for some Arena fighting. After defeating a Bullette, they fought against some Winter Wolves.


Lorian is a lot more powerful than his brother, he and I play many games where it is just the two of us. That is the weapons dealer surrounded by his ladies in the stands watching. The two halflings are two of the PC/NPC's. Corian had some issues, but an adoring fan was cheering him on, and offering some encouragement.


The highlight of the night was my 'indifferent staffer'. Lorian has experienced much success in the Arena and he is actually quite famous for his 'slaying of manticore with a single throw of a dagger' and his other accomplishments. He actually brags about it alot in the game to other NPC's which is very humorous. When signing up to fight, the indifferent staffer did not recognize him and did not seem excited at all once Lorian explained to him who he was. Lorian then told the staffer exactly how he and his brother should be announced when entering the Arena. I took it down word for word and proceeded to pronounce 'Chief Lorian Darkshade' as 'Chef Lori Ann Darkshed' among many other errors...good times. The great thing is that the boy is getting very good at this role playing stuff.

Next up...they had negotiated salvage rights for the fight with the Bulette. They were allowed to keep the armor plates of the creature which are worth a good amount of gold when used to create shields or armor. Now they have to find a dwarven blacksmith that can help them out...

No comments:

Post a Comment