Sunday, December 9, 2012

Holiday Game Bash: Aftermath

The event this year was in Parma (Ohio) as opposed to the clear other side of Cleveland, so the drive was just under 2 hours and to an area I was a bit more familiar with. It was raining a bit during the drive, but nothing too bad. I arrived at the Rock City Tap House right around 9:45 am, giving me enough time to get in with my auction items and figure our where my 10 AM game was.

All kinds of pictures are located at the North Coast Gamers Meetup page.


I checked in and received 26 raffle tickets. My one hour Fleet sessions earned 8 tickets (4 players - 1 hour each) and my T&T session earned me a cool 18 tickets (6 players - 3 hours). I collected them and took the four games I was selling to the stage for the Silent Auction.

The registered events were all assigned to a table and each table had a sign-up sheet for the events running at the table. Not a bad system at all. My first Fleet game had no one signed up, but I did get two players. The two boys were younger than 10 years, but they actually caught on to the game rather quickly and seemed to enjoy themselves.


I had an hour between my Fleet game and my T&T game, time I intended to use to read a bit more into the 'Dungeon of the Rat' adventure before the game started. I also filled out about 9 or 10 of my raffle tickets and dropped them into some bags for Raffle #1 that was going to commence at 3:30pm, following my T&T game. (See that copy of 'Lords of Waterdeep"?)


No one was signed up for my T&T event, so I sat down at the table and tried to get in some reading in case I did end up with a few players. Around 11:45, a few guys showed up so we started talking and creating characters after explaining the extreme basics of T&T with them. After I got John and Josh started on creating their characters, another player showed up. Dave knew a bit about the history of T&T and D&D, remarking about that story when he remembered seeing both D&D and T&T when they were originally released: D&D being the game with what looked like artwork by an 11 year old on the cover, while T&T had the artwork that looked like it was drawn by a 7 year old. He bought D&D and was interested in actually learning a bit about the other game, T&T.

Of course, as we were finishing up the character creation, got all the equipment situated, and about ready to start and another player showed up, but Richard had played T&T before. In fact, he had played in my T&T Stay Alive! game at BASH Con in Toledo earlier in the year. I talked to him about BASH Con in 2013 where we are expecting to get Ken St. Andre to be a guest, which he seemed to be interested in. He also asked if I was running my SA! game again, which I told him I was, a continuation of our game from February. Thanks Richard!

John created a Fairy Wizard, but ended up with a sizable Combat Add total since he had such a high DEX and LCK from the kindred modifiers. Josh created a Leprechaun Rogue and really had a good time with it, selecting 'That's a Natty Beard' as his only spell and the reason why he did not become a Wizard like other Leprechauns: because he liked that spell so much, he could not focus on learning any others. Both Dave and Richard created dwarf warriors, and we were ready to go.


We got through a bit of the 'Dungeon of the Rat' adventure starting with some role playing in the bar that sits atop to the dungeon where the dwarfs got the fairy and leprechaun drunk and proceeded to use the fairy's money to buy all their drinks. The leprechaun causes some mischief by going behind the bar and stealing the rat statue back there. Once in the dungeon, the first ratling was killed with a thrown knife as he ran away, the giant frog was dispatched after trying to pull in Richard's dwarf with his tongue. The fairy and his 35 combat adds was able to get a sizeable chunk of tongue on an attack. The Leprechaun then decided to swim in the tepid bathtub the frog was living in, only to find the chain connecting to the stopper and almost getting sucked down the drain with his measly 3 STR, flailing in the current until Dave's dwarf pulled him out. Dave's dwarf then went into a story about how human traps could never full a dwarf and any trap that only takes out the lead party member is not very effective...he then triggered a pit trap because the fairy was first and flying. On his way down, he screamed 'Human Trap!'.

One more encounter with a Rat Ogre, and our time was about up. While most of the players new to game agreed that the system was promising with its SR system and the flexibility of the Talents, everyone agreed that the combat system was lacking, which I have always had some issue with as well. I think everyone had a good enough time though - they all look happy in that picture at least.

The first raffle was next. Last year, I did not win anything. This year, I won two games in the first raffle alone:  'Lords of Waterdeep' and the 'Netrunner' TCG.


Here is a view of the hall from the back stage where the Silent Auction was being held.


At 4pm, I had my second game of Fleet. Richard from the T&T game joined Pam and Sheila. Pam dominated the game. Sheila and Richard had some bad luck, not getting some of the ship cards they needed to get their fleet's going...or they did not listen to my advice as well as Pam. Either way, I think the game went A-OK.

Now by 5pm, I realized I had not eaten anything all day. I went next door to the bar and grill and got me a beer and a burger and fries, which was the best damn burger I have eaten in a long time...probably due to my excessive hunger. After that, I played on my kindle fire a bit, wondered around a bit, and then by 8:30pm, it was time to settle up at the Silent Auction.
  • Runebound - sold for $15
  • Cosmic Encounter - sold of $15
  • Nexus Ops - sold for $17
  • A Touch of Evil - sold for $26
The buyers got some good deals, but I will gladly take $73 for games I have never played. After the auction results, we went right into the second raffle, of which I was prepared to accept my luck had been spent earlier. However, I did get one more game, 'Frontiers: Liberty or Death'.



With that,the evening was over for me, at least at the Game Fest. I drove over to Cleveland to meet Kopfy and Peryton at Applebees. A few beers, some half off appetizers, and good converstation was had in great company. The waitress gave me an iced tea for the road and I headed back to my brother's house in Vermilion, Ohio where I promptly passed out after a long, but fun day.

2 comments: