Sunday, January 4, 2015

Stay Alive! Monstrous Edition - Explosives

My resolution for 2015 is to publish more than one book on the year. I have been working over the holidays on getting "On the Road..." completed and the good news is, I have the GM section just about complete. The rest of the solo stuff is already plotted, so I would just need to get those finished and then out for some playtesting.

My brain seems to like a bit of change, so it was nice to work on the new and expanded version of the Stay Alive rules I mentioned a few months back. I was working on updating all the tables/charts today and added a few weapons that were missing and then grabbed my copy of MSPE to double check a few items.



I am now adding a new section that I left out of the original rules and was handled very well by MSPE - grenades and explosives. I especially like the rules written regarding the 'ground zero' and the blast radius for TNT/Plastique, Grenades, and Mortars. Kopfy's character in a recent SA! game carried around vials of Nitroglycerin so it makes sense to have some basic rules on this stuff.


When I worked on my gun damage numbers for SA!, I tried to keep things very general grouping firearms in basic categories and ranges based on power. For this, I bothered a few friends who are experienced gun owners (a cop and a hunter/firearms instructor) to lay things out. I figured that for those people that actually cared about the differences between this gun and that gun could still do that if they wanted. For most of us, gun knowledge if very foreign and details that are not so much needed.

For explosives, I will lean a bit more on what has already been done. I do like the idea of just being exremely lucky, so I will put some form of twist to it. Sometimes explosives do not do what they are supposed to do, so I am thinking some form of variance based on LK would be kind of cool. The rules regarding thrown explosives and how they scatter will be updated with a bit more detail as well.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting focusing on explosives in such a way. Focusing on Luck with explosives is a great and interesting way for a RPG context.

    You mentioned over at G+ that you outlined a whole bunch of grenades and various types of other explosives. I would've gone with the materials used and then the types of delivery available myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea...still kinf of brain dumping the entire section

    ReplyDelete